At OERA (the Offshore Energy Research Association), we are helping Atlantic Canada move toward a more sustainable energy future by providing the unbiased information and insight needed to plan a path forward. We are a non-profit organization that serves as an independent and impartial knowledge and capacity builder. We support economic growth in the region by exploring and assessing cleantech opportunities. Our team also enables expert energy research with input from academia, industry, government, regulators and others.
We are seeking an Intern – Energy System Modelling. This is a 12-month contract position for a recent graduate of university or community college.
OERA is currently developing an open-source energy system model for Atlantic Canada. When complete, this tool will help users (such as policymakers, researchers, and industry and NGO representatives) better understand and contribute to possible next steps on the path to net-zero GHG emissions.
In this role, you will be part of a dynamic team and be responsible for the successful training of energy system model users in Atlantic Canada. You will work closely with academia, government, and industry. The work will be supported by a larger project team.
In this position, you will be responsible for:
- Becoming an expert energy system model user,
- Executing the model and analyzing scenario results,
- Documenting processes,
- Providing technical support for other model users,
- Planning and providing in-person and online training to model users, and
- Supporting the larger project team in day-to-day activities.
Your qualifications must include:
- Having completed a university or community college degree in mathematics, computer science, economics, or engineering within the last 12 months.
- Experience and interest in energy economics, technology and the transition to a low-carbon future.
- Excellent communication skills and a desire to collaborate.
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with data processing and analysis concepts.
- Experience with visualization of data.
- Driver’s license.
The following qualifications would be considered assets:
- Experience in energy system analysis and modelling.
- Experience in training and outreach activities.
If interested in this opportunity, please respond with a resume, cover letter in one PDF document.
The OERA values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Please apply to:
Ms. Nalani Perry, Operations Manager
Please quote competition number IN-19 when applying.
Closing date for Applications: Wednesday, June 23, 2021 - End of Business Day